How to open Jan Dhan Account
The Jan Dhan account is popularly known as the Zero Balance Account as it has been launched with an aim of reaching out to the people of the country who did not have the financial power to maintain a normal savings account. After coming into power the Mr. Modi, have introduced the Jan Dhan Yojana that allow people to have bank account that does not involve any service fee or the need to maintain a minimum balance.
The main target group for the Jan Dhan account are the people who belong to Lower Income Group or Economically Weaker section and the people who live in rural areas. The individuals who could not open a bank account because of the common reason that they do not know their date of birth, etc. can also open a Jan Dhan Account.
|S.No||Things Need to Know about Jan Dhan Account||Detailed Information|
|1||Bank Account Opened Under which scheme||Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY)|
|2||Date On Which Jan Dhan Account Introduced||15th August 2014|
|3||Any Minimum balance to be maintained for Jan Dhan Account||No! Customers can maintain zero balance|
|4||Where this Jan Dhan Account can be opened||· Public sector Banks
· Regional Rural Banks
· Private Banks
The citizens of India who are more than 10 years of age can open a Jan Dhan Account.
Opening a Jan Dhan account
In case you want to open a Jan Dhan Account then you need to have the following documents-
- You need to have an Aadhaar card or an Aadhaar number in order to open a Jan Dhan account. If you have an Aadhar card then you need not have any other document during the opening of the Jan Dhan Account.
- In case you do not have an Aadhaar Card then you need to have a voter ID card, PAN card, driving license, Passport, or any other such ID proof. One of these is enough to open.
- In case a person does not have any of the following documents mentioned above then also you can open a Jan Dhan account. In such a case you will need to provide any ID card which has your photograph that has been issued by any of the State or Central Government Departments or Scheduled Commercial or Public Financial Institutions.
- Apart from one of the above mentioned document the applicant also needs to carry two passport sized photograph which has to be submitted with the scheme application form.
Initially for opening an account under this scheme the applicant had to compulsorily have an Aadhaar card. But then keeping in mind the fact that most of the people who require the Jan Dhan Yojana did not have an Aadhaar card or number the rule was modified. So now even if a person does not have an Aadhaar card, he or she can easily open a Jan Dhan account.
With any one of the above mentioned documents you have to visit a bank or a financial institution that is located near you. This institution has to be a government institution. Once to reach the government bank or financial institution you will have to go to the desk that deals with Jan Dhan Yojana. The bank official there will provide you with the bank account opening form which you will have to fill and then submit to the bank official. Along with the form you will have to submit a copy of the Identity document that you are carrying.
Eligibility criteria for opening Jan Dhan Account
The government has also set certain eligibility criteria for this scheme, here are the details-
- This account can be opened by any Indian citizen who is of or above the age of 10 years. In case the person opening an account is below 18 then there has to be a guardian to manage the account.
- The people who already have savings account in any other bank or same bank can also open a Jan Dhan account but the person should be recognized to be in the ‘low risk’ zone by the bank.
The Jan Dhan account comes with all the facilities and benefits that any other normal savings banks accounts have or provide. It also provides a RuPay Card to the account holders that can be used in the ATMs for transactions. Basically this account is a beneficial for all the people of the country.